North Twilight Peak 13,076 ft
Summiting a Colorado mountain is something everybody should experience. Climb North Twilight Peak with one of the guides of KMG. At 13,076 ft above sea level you are sure to feel the magnitude of every step ahead. North Twilight Peak is located in Colorado’s West Needle Mountains. This small cluster of peaks is separated from the higher Needle and Grenadier Mountains by the plunging 5,000’ deep Animas River Gorge. The West Needle Mountains are located in the San Juan National Forest, and the Weminuche Wilderness Area. As a result of these mountains containing no 14ers or Centennial Peaks we typically have the climb and/or ski to ourselves!
We climb North Twilight mid-summer to mid-winter, spring and fall. Single day trips are a full day, leaving early in the morning from our Durango office and returning mid-afternoon. We will hike or skin through high alpine forest, passing the hidden Crater Lake, before getting above tree line at approximately 11,800 ft. From there we ascend the North East Ridge. From the summit you’ll be able to see south to the La Plata mountains and all the way into New Mexico. To the west you’ll be looking at Engineer Mountain peak and into the heart of the Weminuche Wilderness and to the north you’ll see Mountain Wilson and El Diente near Telluride, CO.
- AMGA Certified Rock Guide or AMGA Certifed Alpine Guide (depending on program)
- Group climbing equipment (ropes, harnesses, all other technical climbing equipment, climbing shoes, first aid kits)
Price Does Not Include
- Travel to Silverton, Colorado from your location. All private trips are required to provide their own transportation.
- 5% federal land use surcharge
- Items of personal nature
- Individual travel costs, delays, etc.
- Excess baggage fees
- Personal clothing or gear
- Personal snacks
- Hotels before and after trip
- Recommended Travel/trip cancelation insurance.
- Guide/ Staff gratuity
- Harness: This should be a UIAA rated comfortable all day climbing harness with four gear loops. The Camp Laser is our current favorite
- Climbing Shoes: These should be comfortable all day sticky rubber climbing shoes. While extremely tight sport climbing shoes will work, we recommend the La Sportiva TC Pro.
- Climbing helmet: This must be a UIAA/CE rated climbing helmet. The Camp Speed is our current favorite.
- Nylon runner: This needs to be a 48 inch nylon runner.
- Belay Device: Tube style belay device. We like the Black Diamond ATC Guide.
- Locking Carabiners: (2)
- Non-locking carabiner: (2)
- Small backpack: This should be large enough to carry some food, water, a camera, your extra layer and your approach shoes. If you do not have one, don’t worry. We have packs that you can use. The Black Diamond Hollowpoint works great.
Approach shoes: These should be comfortable approach shoes. These will be what you wear hiking in to the climb. The La Sportiva Boulder are a great shoe.
- Socks: Synthetic or wool.
- Climbing Pants: We recommend climbing in pants. These protect our legs more than shorts, and give us a wider variety of options for temperature swings. The Patagonia Rock Guide are a great option.
- Synthetic T shirt: This will be what you climb in the majority of the time.
- Mid weight long: Fleece or wool top for warmth in the chilly mornings over the t-shirt
- Light weight jacket: This will be worn in the mornings and at the belays to protect from wind. The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer is a great option.
- Climbers should be in great physical condition.
- There are dozens of climbs with different difficulties in the Black. Please get in touch with us to talk about what climb is right for you. If need be, we would like to climb with you prior to climbing in the Black to help ensure that you are up to the challenge
- If you do not possess these skills or need review, we recommend doing a skills course with us in Colorado or Utah prior to your alpine trip to Silverton, CO.
- Single and multi-day trips available
Registration & Cancelation
- Unfortunately, due to extremely high demand we have a very strict registration and cancelation policy. We can not transfer you to an other program. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND PURCHASING TRAVEL INSURANCE! We recommend the TravelEx Insurance Travel Select plan with the Adventurer Plus Pak upgrade.
- To reserve your spot on a domestic climbing or skiing program please fill out the enclosed application and return it to us along witha 50% deposit if applying more than 60 days out. If your trip/ course starts in less than 60 days please submit full payment.
- Program fees are non-transferable.
If notice of cancellation is given in writing at least 60 days prior to the trip start date, you will be refunded your fulldeposit except for a $50 processing fee.
- If notice of cancellation is given in writing within 59 – 30 days prior to the trip start date, a cancellation fee equal to the deposit amount will be charged. If notice of cancellation is given in writing less than 30 days prior to the trip start date, a cancellation fee equal to 100% of the program fee will be charged.
Alpine Climbing and Ski Mountaineering
Daily March- Nov. Advanced registration required.
single day to as long as you want
North Twilight Peak
Coal Bank Pass
San Juan Mountains, CO
Client to Guide Ratio
up to 3:1 climber to guide ratio
beginner to expert