Alpine Rock Climbing in the San Juan Mountains with an AMGA Certified Alpine Guide
Alpine Rock Climbing (European Style) Silverton, CO
Come expand your rock climbing resume with Kling Mountain Guides on a classic alpine rock route in Colorado’s rugged San Juan Mountains. The alpine rock climbs around Silverton are the new classics of the region. There is truly a climb for abilities. In the spring season we approach on snow for a true alpine feel. As the summer progresses, the approaches become snow free and climbs can be reached in just approach shoes. The proximity to Silverton allows us the comforts of town at night with the splender of alpine summits during the day.
All KMG Guides and Instructors are American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) Certified Single Pitch Instructors or have higher levels of training. We are the SOLE DURANGO or SILVERTON BASED GUIDE SERVICE that only hires AMGA trained and certified guides and instructors. This means you can rest assured that the guide has gone through extensive training with the best organization in the industry. All KMG guides have wilderness medical training and CPR. Some are EMT’s, paramedics, RN’s.
- AMGA Certified Rock Guide or AMGA Certifed Alpine Guide (depending on program)
- Group climbing equipment (ropes, harnesses, all other technical climbing equipment, climbing shoes, first aid kits)
Price Does Not Include
- Travel to Silverton, Colorado from your location. All private trips are required to provide their own transportation.
- 5% federal land use surcharge
- Items of personal nature
- Individual travel costs, delays, etc.
- Excess baggage fees
- Personal clothing or gear
- Personal snacks
- Hotels before and after trip
- Recommended Travel/trip cancelation insurance.
- Guide/ Staff gratuity
- Harness: This should be a UIAA rated comfortable all day climbing harness with four gear loops. The Camp Laser is our current favorite
- Climbing Shoes: These should be comfortable all day sticky rubber climbing shoes. While extremely tight sport climbing shoes will work, we recommend the La Sportiva TC Pro.
- Climbing helmet: This must be a UIAA/CE rated climbing helmet. The Camp Speed is our current favorite.
- Nylon runner: This needs to be a 48 inch nylon runner.
- Belay Device: Tube style belay device. We like the Black Diamond ATC Guide.
- Locking Carabiners: (2)
- Non-locking carabiner: (2)
- Small backpack: This should be large enough to carry some food, water, a camera, your extra layer and your approach shoes. If you do not have one, don’t worry. We have packs that you can use. The Black Diamond Hollowpoint works great.
Approach shoes: These should be comfortable approach shoes. These will be what you wear hiking in to the climb. The La Sportiva Boulder are a great shoe.
- Socks: Synthetic or wool.
- Climbing Pants: We recommend climbing in pants. These protect our legs more than shorts, and give us a wider variety of options for temperature swings. The Patagonia Rock Guide are a great option.
- Synthetic T shirt: This will be what you climb in the majority of the time.
- Mid weight long: Fleece or wool top for warmth in the chilly mornings over the t-shirt
- Light weight jacket: This will be worn in the mornings and at the belays to protect from wind. The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer is a great option.
- Climbers should be in great physical condition.
- There are dozens of climbs with different difficulties in the Black. Please get in touch with us to talk about what climb is right for you. If need be, we would like to climb with you prior to climbing in the Black to help ensure that you are up to the challenge
- If you do not possess these skills or need review, we recommend doing a skills course with us in Colorado or Utah prior to your alpine trip to Silverton, CO.
- Single and multi-day trips available
Registration & Cancelation
- Unfortunately, due to extremely high demand we have a very strict registration and cancelation policy. We can not transfer you to an other program. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND PURCHASING TRAVEL INSURANCE! We recommend the TravelEx Insurance Travel Select plan with the Adventurer Plus Pak upgrade.
- To reserve your spot on a domestic climbing or skiing program please fill out the enclosed application and return it to us along witha 50% deposit if applying more than 60 days out. If your trip/ course starts in less than 60 days please submit full payment.
- Program fees are non-transferable.
If notice of cancellation is given in writing at least 60 days prior to the trip start date, you will be refunded your fulldeposit except for a $50 processing fee.
- If notice of cancellation is given in writing within 59 – 30 days prior to the trip start date, a cancellation fee equal to the deposit amount will be charged. If notice of cancellation is given in writing less than 30 days prior to the trip start date, a cancellation fee equal to 100% of the program fee will be charged.
Daily March- Nov. Advanced registration required.
Single day to as long as you want
$359 per person for 1:1
$259 per person for 2:1
$199 per person for 3:1
Client to Guide Ratio
Up to 3:1 climber to guide ratio
Beginner to Expert